The Butterfly Project
- When you feel like you want to cut, take a marker, pen, or sharpies and draw a butterfly on your arm or hand.
- Name the butterfly after a loved one, or someone that really wants you to get better.
- You must let the butterfly fade naturally. NO scrubbing it off.
- If you cut before the butterfly is gone, you’ve killed it. If you dont cut, it lives.
- If you have more than one butterfly, cutting kills all of them.
- Another person may draw them on you. These butterflies are extra special. Take good care of them.
- Even if you don’t cut, feel free to draw a butterfly anyways, to show your support. If you do this, name it after someone you know that cuts or is suffering right now, and tell them. It could help.
If you don’t find this helping please please click here for further help!
Before you approach someone you suspect has an eating disorder, I would highly recommend that you educate yourself. Too many people believe that eating disorders are only about food and weight issues, when in reality, those are just the symptoms of underlying problems. Below is a list of some things to keep in mind when approaching someone.
- Avoid talking about food and weight, those are not the real issues
- Assure them that they are not alone and that you love them and want to help in any way that you can
- Encourage them to seek help
- Never try to force them to eat
- Do not comment on their weight or appearance
- Do not blame the individual and do not get angry with them
- Be patient, recovery takes time
- Do not make mealtimes a battleground
- Listen to them, do not be quick to give opinions and advice
- Do not take on the role of a therapist
If you have an eating disorder yourself and you want to recover, well done, you’ve made the first step! Click here for further tips and ideas to help recover or to help someone else recover
http://the-help-network.tumblr.com/ this blog is here to help anyone that needs it!
I hope you guys find this helpful and if not, the websites I have linked here helpful! x